What the Microsoft Dynamics Learning Portal (DLP) did for me
I found myself in need of a Microsoft Certification and was looking for a way to prepare without attending traditional classroom training. I needed the flexibility to do my training whenever I could and wherever was convenient for me. The Microsoft Learning Portal (DLP) turned out to be exactly what I needed! I have outlined, below, my journey to get my Certification using the Learning Portal.
Finding an exam on the DLP
- First, I entered PartnerSource (https://mbspartner.microsoft.com/Home)
- Then I clicked on the “Readiness& Training” drop down and selected “E-Learning”
- I used the SEARCH box and entered the exam I want to take: MB2-717
The Portal brought back some great information related to the exam. The Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Sales Certification Exam Preparation Guide includes:
- Target Audience
- Exam Specifics
- Skills being measured
- Time Requirements
- Link to register for exam
- Exam Preparation Tools
- Displays the classes I need to take
- Gives me the ability to create a Learning Plan
Creating a learning plan with the DLP
I can add any classes I want to the Learning Plan. With this portal, I added the classes to My Learning Plan that were needed to prepare for the exam. This is where it got a little confusing. I logged out of PartnerSource intending to resume at a later time. When I logged back into in, I realized I had no idea how to access my learning plan. After a significant amount of searching on the E-Learning site I found a link to a video that was very helpful. This is how I got there:
- I selected “CRM”
- I clicked on the “Here”-> link under “Learn More.” These videos can be very helpful!
- After watching a video, I realized I needed to Click on “My Learning Plans”. This was confusing as this option is on a secondary menu bar. See below:
Once I figured how to access the learning plan, multiple clicks were required to get into the classes and begin training.
How to build a course on the DLP
- Click on the icon of the class you want to take from your learning plan. (Defaults to the “Overview” tab.) This information is very helpful as it can help you decide the order in which you should take the classes.
- Click on “Module” tab. You will be presented with all the modules in the class.
- Watch the videos and learn!
Each training Module contains the following:
- Overview of the entire Module
- Overview of each section
- Practice (Sometimes)
In addition to Dynamics 365 for Sales, training for all Microsoft business applications now live on the Learning Portal. If you’re interested in additional posts about upcoming exams (especially the new MB-300 for Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations), check out the Preparing for the new Microsoft Dynamics 365 exam MB-300 post.